Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Spring Mom Teetering on Epic Fail

Finally, SPRING!

Ah, spring is here and the flowers are finally blooming!  Here in the Mid-South, we are having some warm weather as well!  With spring, comes the wrapping up of all-things-kid. It’s the end of activities, the end of school, and the end of a small era.

Unfortunately for me, this causes great grief and sadness.  Why?  Well, I am always sad to see my kids grow a bit older.  The bigger reason is I just cannot seem to balance all that I am ‘supposed’ to balance:  deadlines, performances, field trips, gifts, cards, forms, planning for summer, laundry.  Actually, laundry stays on the Can’t Deal list.  It is like I am in a giant funnel and I have one foot in and one foot out!
I laugh out loud at many awesome women that are bloggers and writers and seem to feel the same.  Jen Hatmaker and Kay Wyma are two that have floored me recently as if they read my mind.  My mouth fell open as I read and know that I am not alone.  Honestly, there is no one to blame and it is part of life.  Teachers from school and activities are ending their year.  I love teachers dearly and they do not get paid enough for all they do.  They have lots to do and are trying to finish strong and make a few things fun for the kids.

Why is it so hard for me to juggle it all?  I am not that September mom.  I am not coming off of a long summer with longing for a structured schedule for my kids.  I am no longer eager for new school supplies and a fresh start for my kids.  I am weary from multi-tasking and running crazy and asking, “Have you done your homework?”  I can’t seem to remember to sign folders and secretly hope my husband checked that box.  “What day?” “What time does it start?”  “The deadline is tomorrow?!!?”  These are the things coming out of my mouth.  My daily prayer is for organization and priorities.  I think I need priorities for my priorities!

If you have more than 3 kids, I honestly don’t know how you do it.  I am outnumbered, big time.  I feel I could be on a commercial, “Two out of three Simpson kids have clean socks.  Don’t be a Simpson, be organized.”  It is triple-threat around here.  We have some kids who throw out all rules of basic this-sort-of-goes-together fashion.  We have kids who have grown about 3 inches either in height or shoes.  We need haircuts and I don’t know when to fit them in!  You may see us coming, a Muppet family of shaggy hobos.
My recent email to my child’s teacher was a Step One in admitting I have a problem.  Of course I had to apologize as well.  I realized I was a super-slacker and missing some things.  It went like this:

“Firstly, I must say that I am now NOT the mom I was back in the fall (not that I was awesome).  I am slowly losing my mind, my will, and my time.  I can’t seem to remember much with all of the chaos of ‘end of year’ approaching—that encompassing both school and other activities!  I am happy to say I am not losing my sense of humor, I find I must laugh at myself daily and the mess I seem to dredge through and cook on high heat.

This is not a surprise to me, as the alter-ego version of the ‘school mom’ rears its ugly head about the same time each year.  You would think I could be prepared for this, but alas, no.  So, I am apologizing for my lack of attention to detail.  I guess admitting this is the first step, right?  Forgive me and I will do my best to keep my head above water for these next few weeks.”

Of course she was super sweet and made me feel better about my shortcomings.

So I will march on, ya’ll.  I will keep on getting up before my kids to have my quiet time.  That keeps me the most sane, I promise. 
One of my distractions each morning during my early quiet time
I will continue to plug in everything I can into my calendar and set 40 reminders to go off on both my computer and email.  I will do my best to avoid the teetering on the small ‘epic fail’ that seems to follow me like a shadow.  If I forget, give me some grace.  Summer is coming, thank goodness!

With Joy,
Tracey

To read the blog posts I mentioned, click the links:
Follow Me!  Click the links to the right for Pinterest and my Facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/PinkLizzardDesigns
Oh and I have not even started in my flower beds!!!
Thank goodness for independent growth!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment