Monday, January 27, 2014

Restyling A Cabinet and Creating a Mirror - The Dust Bunnies Applaud!

Out with the old and in with the new…or in with the restyled…or in with the created-from-whatever.  The New Year will always seem to do one of two things for me:  1. Grant me a feeling of excitement to tackle new lists and projects, or 2. Make me wander aimlessly around my house as I try to clean up after the holidays and feel a sense of ‘funk’.  This year, I am leaning towards the latter.  Maybe it is so cold and yucky here in the Mid-South and that is keeping my creative processes at bay.  Just writing this post took a few weeks because of stopping and starting!  Whatever the reason, I must snap out of it.

I made a small bit of progress with my china cabinet right before school started back.  I can’t seem to make
My China Cabinet
much headway with really anything while the kids are out for Christmas break.  I tackled this small project to make myself feel like an accomplished housekeeper.  The dust bunnies admired my work with me when I managed to finish this mission.

After inspiration from many pictures of styled china cabinets on the internet, every single piece was removed from behind the glass doors and washed down.  Then the shelves were cleaned.  I moved things out for good.  My results are simple but clean.
 
Cleaning that glass and a few mirrors reminded me of other mirrors that need attention around here. I try to hit a few as I decorate for Christmas.  There is one project that I created last year from random scraps of wood on a budget.  It is my narrow trumeau mirror. It was a ‘test’ project, but I like how it turned out and it has a spot in my family room now!

I had seen these French-style mirrors on the Internet and loved, LOVED them.  I was inspired by Susie Harris’ Blog ( link SusieHarrisBlog) and her DIY post on these mirrors!  Then I was at the Home Depot one day and found a scrap piece of wood that was marked to a few dollars, so I grabbed it. 
Before, making something out of nothing.

It was long and narrow.  My next purchases were molding, decorative wood elements, and inexpensive 8x10 mirrors.


I spent the next week attaching the molding, filling wood, distressing mirrors and then finally painting it. 
The finished project!
 I gave it an old white chalk paint base coat and brushed over with golden yellow chalk paint.  There was some distressing before a final antique wax coat.


You can’t beat a test project that seems to work, especially when you do not spend much money on it.  I keep telling that to Mr. Lizzard but he just rolls his eyes.  Of course, he is probably thinking of my projects that may cost a little more.

So this brings me back to the beginning and the ‘funk’ of cleaning up and cleaning out.  January seems to be a funky month for many.  You are in the slum of the lows because Christmas is over.  It is cold…and here it is abnormally cold.  It is dreary. I, like some of you, get a little bluesy with the dust and clutter and all of these other things I have mentioned.  A piece of encouragement is peace.

“My peace is such an all-encompassing gift that it is independent of circumstances.  Though you lose everything else, if you gain My Peace you are rich indeed.” – From Jesus Lives by Sarah Young

And then there is one of my favorite verses (that I should read to myself daily), Philippians 4:6-7:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Amen to that.  Now go out and encourage each other.  Pray hard.  Get that dustpan out and whistle while you work!

With Joy,
Tracey 

Pink Lizzard Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment