Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Decluttering – It is a Journey


If you know me well, you know I am always trying to fit in cleaning, picking up, organizing, and the like.  Now, I am not saying that I accomplish all of these or do so in a timely manner (yes, I feel my mother-in-law cringe…hang in there, Maureen), but I do my best at the attempt and the process.  That is all a long way of saying, ‘I try’.  I don’t know if I am left or right-brained and if that has anything to do with it.  I do know I have some ADHD without the hyperactivity so that puts a whole new spin on it.

In recent months, I am working on giving myself some slack in this area when needed.  I am human.  I have some gifts.  Being uber organized is not my gift.  I want to be organized, but so many things get in my way.  I won’t go into all of that here.  I also need to give myself a hard time so I can get things done.  It is a balance and I am still working on it.
 
I love this verse, but I really like this translation:

I will give you praise, for I am strangely and delicately formed; your works are great wonders, and of this my soul is fully conscious.” –Psalm 139:14 BBE

Oh yes, I love the ‘strangely’ part!  I keep on trying to remember that God does things for a reason and I am the way I am because HE did that with intent!

I enjoy looking at all things home décor and design on the internet.  One of my favorite sites is Houzz.  I was drawn to an article last night called, ‘Decluttering—Don’t Let Fear Hold You Back’.  You can guess why I clicked on it.  I really enjoyed the article; the author seemed to struggle with letting go of her kids’ artwork.  I too, struggle with that.  The article goes on with her struggles of regret of giving stuff away (yes, I have been there), and keeping and what not to keep.  Then you find her family survives a house fire.  She loses many possessions.  What her young daughter said as the author mourns the loss of sentimental artwork was amazing:  we still have each other to remind us we are loved.  Not the stuff.

Of course I was very choked up.  I will say this article was helpful.  I may not let go of all of my kids’ crafts, drawings, notes.  I will keep this all in mind when I go through it.  I will let go of some….ok, more.  One small step for man.  One giant leap for the decluttered-kind.

With Joy,
Tracey
(see the article from Houzz on my blog…)





2 comments:

  1. In the process of de-cluttering...especially after opening my antique booth...taking out things from the attic that I have been holding on for years...once you start letting go, it gets easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, Thanks for your comments! I just found it, I have been side-tracked as usual! It does get easier, but I have only done little bits here and there. I have to police myself alot and put it on my 'schedule' to do little bits. Wow, it does feel great, don't you agree?
      ~Tracey

      Delete