Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Painted Dresser-- ' I ' Am The Work In Progress!


“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well!” – Psalm 139:14 NIV

These are the words that comfort me when I:  a) feel stupid, b) feel awkward or c) feel disorganized and incomplete.  Well, I am still incomplete in the sense that God is still working on me.  That being said, lately it seems that choice “c” is the front runner.


Like many women, I struggle with balancing things in life.  You have to juggle so many things when you are a wife or mother or both!  I don’t work outside the home for a ‘paid’ job at this point so kudos to the ladies that do that and still get tons of balancing done!!!  I sure don’t know how you do it.  We all have our struggles, no matter how put-together we may seem.  After all, no one is perfect.


One of my struggles is completing tasks that are long in duration while continuing with all of my other life duties.  I yearn to be creative and try to make things as an outlet for that.  I love the process and love to have a finished project.  Usually, I have a finished product and it sits nestled in a huge mess of a household.  I am trying to find that balance of keeping up with everything else while creating!!! 


Enter my first real project in months and months.  A dresser for my girls’ room.  I found this dresser at an estate sale in November.  It was the last hours of the sale and I scored it for a really good deal.  Of course, it was right before Thanksgiving break so it sat in my garage until last week.  My garage is a whole project for another day….or week.   Thank goodness, I had the sense to think about what was coming up and made no plan to touch it until after Christmas Break. 

Here is the before picture:


I have become addicted to Pinterest; it is one web that suits me well.  I can think of any project that has been looming in the back of my brain and search for ideas.  This site turned me onto a product called, ‘chalk paint’.  It is designed to be used on furniture, and it is very easy to distress.  Then through that, I learned about waxing a painted piece.  Let me tell you I did A LOT of research.


I picked out a minty green color a few shades lighter than the small area rug in girls’ room.  I decided to paint it a few coats and do a white-wash on the hand-painted flower panels on the dresser front.  The paint looked white at first but it was a true pale green with two coats.  Here is a picture of one coat on:

(The beauty of the chalk paint is you do not need to prime.  I also read that the brush strokes will fade a bit as it dries.  Keep in mind, this is not a finish is you want an ultra-smooth look. Spray paint may be better for that!)
I used a small sander and then used a paste wax.  I was surprised by the finish—I really liked it.  So here is the final result…I do think I kinda like it!




(My girls' room is still WIP-Work In Progress.  I will hopefully get the walls 'done' and arranged soon!  See, always a project.)

My next project is my old coffee table.  We shall see how that turns out.  I can always paint over it.  Now, I think I have laundry to do.  I have a kitchen towel a friend gave me (thanks Mel) and I love the quote:   “A clean house is a sign of a wasted life”.  Well, maybe not a TOTAL waste but if my house was clean all the time, I would not have any projects!!! 


-- Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment