Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Small Transformations


We are just past Spring Break and Easter but I don’t think the weather around here knows it!!!  I can see some of the trees trying to bud and blossom but my cold-natured-self says to keep my jacket on.


With some much-needed sunshine Monday, I was able to walk around in my sad garden and see a few signs of spring.  Finally, I feel the need to start looking at garden plans but that will be for another day.

The display on my back fence

The pansies are starting to perk
The bunny statue needs Spring!

Phlox is blooming --slowly


We had a nice ‘Stay-cation’ here this time for Break and I was able to piddle around and get a few things done.  Now, not a TON because my kids thought Spring Break meant Spring Chauffeur (meaning ME) to them.  So, I decided to work on a few smaller projects as I could.  I worked on my garage a few weekends ago, clearing and trying to organize the space.  It is amazing how you feel like getting other projects done when you have a cleared out space!

I launched a new adventure I call, “Pink Lizzard Designs”.  The two ‘z’s are a throwback to a garage band my hubby had in High School-but his was Black, not pink!  Anyway, it is not really a true business, just a hobby where I can create and rescue and transform old finds.  I have a sweet friend that has an antique booth at Sheffield’s in Collierville called Ella May Designs.  Stephanie is a creative doll and lets me put some of my items in her booth.  She has great taste and I love her booth!  My hubby is supportive and lends some critical opinions my way when needed.  For the most part, Mr. Lizzard tolerates my crazy creative whims quite well and is happy to leave me to do my messes.  I try to make sure my family ‘business’ stays on track even though I would love to just paint and paint all day!

I found some interesting things in my thrifting jaunts a few weeks ago.  Some things are for me to keep and I think I will send some items to the Ella May Designs.  I found this lonely horse bookend that was somewhat heavy but ugly.  Since my girls and I all have the horse fever, I knew I had to grab it.   Originally I had plans for it in their room, but I changed my mind and I think it looks nice for now in my bookshelves!






I love all things galvanized metal these days.  I don’t know what it is about it, but I sure do love it.  I found a great French Market bucket and shined it up with come cleaner and a bit of paint.  I like how it turned out and have thought of a million places to put this find!




This cute shelf grabbed my attention but someone had decoupaged fruit on the front skirt of the shelf.  It was screaming for help so I picked it up.  I decided to add a wood embellishment to the scalloped ‘skirt’.  I brushed on an antique white and a neutral gray paint.  After sanding, I waxed it well!  Major change!



I have been working on a small budget to get my family hearth room together or somewhat ‘decorated’ since the fall.  Of course I get distracted and life gets in the way, but it is getting close to the end….for now.  I hope to post the update on the finished product when I get there.  I needed something to go over my triple windows that look out into the backyard.  Since the budget is not allowing for a major item, I decided to make a rustic sign. 

For the sign, I used a board that was started in the fall for a rustic Christmas sign but never was brought to full potential.  Luckily, the colors I started with were pretty good for my room.  It may be there for a long time (knowing me and my budget constraints), so I came up with “Faith Family Friends”, but in Italian.  Don’t ask me why, I just liked it!  After fumbling around with fonts (forever—that is how I roll), I found a font I like and got to work.  I want it to look a bit old, so throws me into what I refer to as The Process.  Now, The Process has a long definition that pretty much pertains to me and how I work.  Many of you that are uber organized would probably go nuts working alongside of me and The Process.  I guess it works like this:

I start a project with an idea. Get excited with the materials and ideas and get started on said project. Stop for life. Get started again. Stop to plan another step out. Stop for life. Days pass, because there is life and kids and house, etc.  Get started on another layer, discovering a needed material at the store.  Stop for a day (yes, life again).  Get started again, more layers…you get the idea. 

Mr. Lizzard does not always understand The Process and I know it frustrates him.  He is very patient mostly and just looks the other way.  Thank goodness for Mr. Lizzard and his patience….and golf.

Back to the sign!  After days in The Process, it is finished!  I like it and it will do… for now.  I think it will add to the framing of the view.



I always seem to have a small project going, or at least some materials to begin one.  I guess it is an outlet for me and I so enjoy it!  Sometimes working on a budget makes one think outside the box.  I love this quote:

“But out of limitations comes creativity.” – Debbie Allen

So true!  And so there are small transformations that arise out of that!

Enjoy the weather, come on spring!

Joy,


2 comments:

  1. Tracey
    Love that sign! I usually have one, two or seventeeen projects going at one time, too.
    I'm visiting you today from Feathered Nest Friday. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment and Link Up, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Medicine Cabinet Makeover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megin, UGH I am so sorry for just now responding! Thanks so much! I will check out your blog too! I seem to be 'juggling' these days and May is approaching and it is always so stinkin' busy! Thanks so much!!!

      Delete